As a product of the eighties, I grew up with a basic Sloppy Joe on a bun. It was adequate then, but when Con Agra developed the Bold version marketed towards more mature tastes, I found a new way of enjoying a childhood tradition. Unfortunately, where I live, my local grocer has refused to carry the Bold version. Considering Sloppy Joes are basically a combination of mustard and ketchup mixed together, I wondered if I could create my own. What resulted was simply the best Sloppy Joe recipe I have ever tasted. It has none of the preservatives and all of the taste.
Ingredients (for 1 lb of ground beef or turkey):
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. French's mustard
2 teaspoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped red and green pepper
Toppings that are also recommended:
French's Fried Onions
Cheddar cheese slices.
Oh yeah, don't forget...
- Grill onions and peppers in pan with ground beef.
- Drain fat, return to pain.
- Add ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and seasonings.
- Simmer on low heat for ten minutes.
- Place a scoop of Sloppy Joe mix on bun adding French's fried onions, a slice of tomato, and cheddar cheese.