It's easy to make this one pot Middle Eastern / Jewish dish in a cast iron skillet where you literally cook the eggs in the sauce. You can add everything from mushrooms to potatoes but this doesn't have to be only a breakfast dish. In fact, Shakshuka has been reinvented over and over again in many forms throughout many countries. The Spanish add chorizo (sausage) and fry their eggs ahead of time. Indian Shakshuka consists of adding coconut milk and ginger.
You can serve it on rice, toast or simply by itself. Give it a go, you may never make eggs the same way again.
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 6-8 Fresh jalapenos
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Feta Cheese
You'll also want a bit of olive oil or butter to grill your veg.
- In a cast-iron pan, take your onions, garlic and jalapenos and grill till caramelized.
- Season with some salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Add crushed tomatoes and simmer.
- Add sliced tomatoes on top.
- Add Eggs to the top.
- Sprinkle generously with paprika and cayenne.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves
- Sprinkle Feta cheese on top.