Bacon Chimichangas - The World's Best Recipe
As one of my most popular recipes, this, the world's best bacon Chimichanga recipe is a scratch made Mexican restaurant quality style recipe for chimichangas. What are chimichangas you ask? Basically they're a deep-fried Mexican dish, but my recipe will take it to another level. I guarantee you've never, ever tasted anything as good as these. I won't kid you, deep frying anything can't be good, (there is now a healthy version below too) but If you've been saving your fat calories for a taste bud adventure then this is the recipe ride you want to take. If you want to impress your friends with your worldly cooking skills, then I can guarantee this Mexican recipe will definitely impress.
Here's how to make my World Famous Chimichangas
- Recipe Ingredients
shredded chicken skinless chicken breasts, ground beef or thinly sliced steak
- ½ pound chopped and cooked center cut bacon pieces.
2 tomatoes chopped
½ onion, diced.
1 can chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons of Southwest seasoning
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
extra virgin olive oil (or corn oil for the original fattier version)
shredded extra sharp cheese
your favorite chimichanga sauce or salsa
sliced black olives
- Baked Lite Version:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F
2. Cook meat on stove top, draining and rinsing grease if necessary.
3. Cook, blot and crumble bacon.
4. Saute onion and chiles adding spice mix and cilantro.
5. Mix meat, and bacon with onions and chiles. Add tomatoes, and mix well.
6. Place ½ cup of meat in a tortilla and fold like a burrito.
7. Place seam side down on a non-fat sprayed cooking sheet.
8. Take a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil (½ teaspoon or less) and coat tortilla with fingers.
9. Bake for 7-10 minutes till golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and place on plate.
11. Top with cheese, garnish with tomatoes and olives.
Original Deep Fried version of recipe:
1. In skillet, cook bacon & grease breaking into pieces as it cooks.
2. As bacon nears completion, add onion & saute.
3. Lower heat & add chilies, seasonings and cilantro; simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add meat, and if you desire add tomatoes.
5. Place 1/2 cup meat filling on each tortilla.
6. Fold envelope style (like a burrito).
7. Fry, seam side down, in 1/2 inch of hot corn oil, until mildly crispy and tan.
8. Turn and brown other side. Drain briefly on paper towels.
9. Place on plate and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
10. Garnish with lettuce around the chimichanga and top with chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives