Giant Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
I've often made stuffed mushrooms using the smaller mushroom varieties following a similar method as below adding tomato sauce on top, but if you want an interesting main dish, and love mushrooms then this version using giant Portobello stuffed mushrooms is definitely the one you want to try. You may also wish to try a variety of other cheese if available such as Gruyere, Feta or as recommended by a friend, Stilton cheese. You can also try substituting the sausage with crab meat or other meets available locally. They're amazingly succulent, and visibly beautiful as you serve your flowering stuffed giant Portobello stuffed mushrooms to guests.
- fresh whole giant Portobello mushrooms
- ground pork sausage
- mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- cayenne, paprika and salt and pepper
- bread crumbs
- In a bowl combine your uncooked sausage and a couple handfuls of shredded cheese, one chopped onion, bread crumbs, pinches of seasonings and garlic. Mix by hand
- With a spoon scoop out underbelly of mushrooms and dispose.
- Fill underside of mushrooms with meat mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Top with slice of tomato.
- Top with more cheese.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F for 30 minutes.