Better than Cracker Barrel's: Hashbrown Casserole
|It's not Cracker Barrel's hashbrown casserole, it's mom's.... and it's better.|
Christmas in America: no matter how bad the weather is that you were forced to endure to arrive at your destination, the great news is you can drink and eat yourself out of your depression through mountains of food, and the gifting of expensive presents.
If there's a Prozac of family get-togethers, it's got to be the casserole. Here's my mom's recipe for hash-brown casserole. It's darn good. I suppose if I have to be in America, far from my Belgian home, the least I can do is celebrate gluttony by eating some potatoes to honor the holiday spirit of my experiences there. Happy holidays no matter what distant shore you find yourself on, and remember beers with tears, and taters before.... ...well you get the point.
Better than Cracker Barrel's Hashbrown CasseroleIngredients:
- 2 lbs (frozen style) hash-browns (**thawed**)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 6 Tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 16 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 oz can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- pinch of pepper
- If necessary, microwave in a bowl the hash-browns to bring to room-temperature.
- Mix all ingredients in bowl, transfer to greased baking pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes covered with tin foil in a preheated oven at 400 F degrees.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered or till golden brown on-top.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.