New Jersey Italian Cheeseburger
|Okay, not the best picture, but here is the dish cooking in |
the cast iron pan. Believe me- they taste amazing.
Unfortunately, I ate this without a bun because I can't have the bread, but most of the time you just toss a hamburger patty on a bun with some red sauce and a bit of cheese and ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom you've got an Italian cheeseburger. I also grilled up some sweet yellow onions, some fresh mushrooms, and used a slice of tomato on each patty.
This is a super cheap dish that's quick to make. In fact, I chose to forgo the mozzarella for some slices of American and cheddar that I had on hand. I used a .99 cent can of spaghetti sauce for the sauce and spiced it up a bit for my liking. Give it a go, it's outrageously good and a unique idea for dinner when you're wanting something new.
|Here's an example of a finished product using French fries |
and a petite baguette for an Italian Cheeseburger.
- 80/20 Ground beef made in to patties
- Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce
- Cheese (Mozzarella being the most likely candidate)
- Some salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for seasoning.
- Hamburger buns or mini baguettes (if you're not doing low carb/keto)
- French fries (optional)
- I start by making my burger patties and cooking them in a cast iron pan so I can later transfer it to the oven. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
- Sprinkle your patties with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Slice and grill the onions and mushrooms.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Slice some cheese.
- Once the burgers are seared on the outside, add a slice of cheese and tomato to each.
- Pour tomato sauce (marinara) over the entire pan.
- Top with the grilled onions and mushrooms.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place on buns (or not), add French fries (or not) and serve.